Well, in the past few weeks I have disassembled my old vacuum and my new one. I thought that might qualify me for certification as a vacuum cleaner repair person. However, there was apparently one hurdle left to jump.
I hauled out the Little Bissell and prepared to clean another few square feet of carpet. Actually I prepared to clean 3 square feet of carpet again. It wouldn't lay down any cleaning solution! I spent a good bit of the afternoon removing a bunch of little tiny screws and subsequently putting them all back. It works. Now I don't have any more of these kinds of appliances, so I think that must be the last of the tests.
I have spent a good bit of the afternoon rebuilding some old previews, only to find out about half an hour ago that my effort was totally wasted. To quote Queen Victoria, "we" are not amused.
At this point, I have a low blood pressure headache. I am going to take some ibuprofen and lie down for a while til it's had time to work. Later.......